FINAL EIGHT SET TO GO IN 87TH EDITION OF PALM BEACH KENNEL CLUB’S $50,000 JAMES W. PAUL THREE-EIGHTHS MILE DERBY, SATURDAY AFTERNOON, FEBRUARY 24!
West Palm Beach, Fl. – Post positions have been drawn and the Greyhounds are set and ready to go for this Saturday afternoon’s 87th running of Palm Beach Kennel Club’s $50,000 James W. Paul Three-Eighths Mile Derby.
This year’s field is one of the most versatile, featuring Greyhounds with super-early speed, outstanding first-turn rushers and heart-pounding closers.
Declared the “Battle of the Sexes” (4 males & 4 females) by track announcer Mike Jameson, the setup of the final is also very interesting.
In this Derby final, we have all the early-speed Greyhounds occupying the inside one through four posts, while the strong rushers and closers drew the outside five through eight spots.
With such a short sprint to the first turn on the 660-Yard Pat C Rendezvous Course, whoever comes out on top entering the homestretch will have a nice advantage. The same goes for the outside contingent. One or two of those finalists will be close enough as they enter the backstretch to possibly catch the pacesetter.
The 2018 $50,000 James W. Paul Derby, with so many different scenarios at play, is a difficult race to handicap and is poised to award handsomely racing fans who choose the outcome correctly.
The eight 2018 $50,000 James W. Paul Derby finalists in post position order:
- Popgun Episode (Bob’s Skeet – Kpop Episode, B & B Racing)
- JS Mane Event (KC And All – TY Kay Event, Rader Racing)
- Barts Big Bang (Pat C Clement – Barts Magpie, James Douglas)
- Kaias Blue Belle (Trent Lee – Kaias Dahlia, Royal Racing Team)
- Rcknative Spirit (Pat C Clement – RCK Spirit, Suncoast Kennel)
- PJ Whattheywant (Djays Octane – Whats Next, Rader Racing)
- Bartsrunninloose (Pat C Clement – Barts Magpie, James Douglas)
- Atascocita Carey (Flying Westover – Atascocita Doris, Lester Raines)
Post time for Saturday afternoon’s first race is 1:00 p.m. and for the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby, in Race 12, approximately 4:00 p.m.
This will be the 87th running of the Derby, one of the nation’s longest-running stake events.
The Three-Eighths Mile is named in honor of humanitarian, greyhound owner and dedicated supporter of greyhound adoption, James W. Paul.
Special activities for this outstanding afternoon of championship Greyhound racing include:
* Free Admission and Parking!
* 15-Superfecta Races!
* Guaranteed $10,000 Pick 4!
* Cory Marin performs our National Anthem! (12:30 p.m.)
* Food Specials! Hot Dog & Draft Beer for only $4.50 / Hot Dog & Soda for only $3.50!
* Join John Martin with ESPN West Palm Street Team with the Cash Cube and a chance to win up to $500 and other prizes! (In front of first-floor Poker Room, 2:00 – 4:00 pm).
* The first 500 racing fans (age 18 and older) to enter the track will receive a 2018 Souvenir, Collectable Derby Glass, with a listing of all past Derby winners, courtesy of WPTV News Channel 5. (ONE GLASS PER PERSON, NO EXCEPTIONS)
* For the kids, Balloon Artist Karl Koppertop and Ace the Poker Bear! (1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
* Greyhound Pet Representatives will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about adopting one of these loving dogs!
* The finale of the 87th running of the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby featuring Palm Beach Kennel Club’s top middle-distance athletes! (Race 12)
Contact: Jeff Prince (561) 683-2222, Ext. 126 / email@example.com
Join Us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pbkennelclub
Join Us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pbkennelclub