FINAL EIGHT SET TO GO IN 88TH EDITION OF PALM BEACH KENNEL CLUB’S
$50,000 JAMES W. PAUL THREE-EIGHTHS MILE DERBY, SATURDAY AFTERNOON, FEBRUARY 23!
West Palm Beach, Fl. – Post positions have been drawn and the Greyhounds are set and ready to go for this Saturday afternoon’s 88th running of Palm Beach Kennel Club’s $50,000 James W. Paul Three-Eighths Mile Derby.
This year’s field is one of the most versatile, featuring Greyhounds with super-early speed, outstanding first-turn rushers and heart-pounding closers.
What’s interesting about the post positions is that the two pure early-speed finalists, #2 Elizabeth Banks and #3 Pat C Verona drew in beside each other. One of them should be able to snag the early lead but, which one?
The finalist who perhaps drew the best post position is O Ya Fire Fly, who will be breaking from the coveted one box. With Elizabeth and Verona quickly getting out of the way. Fire Fly will have the room to be up close early and possibly pass whatever early-speed finalist(s) is/are in her way.
As with most stake finals, the 2019 $50,000 James W. Paul Derby, with so many different scenarios at play, is a difficult race to handicap and is poised to award handsomely racing fans who choose the outcome correctly.
The eight 2019 $50,000 James W. Paul Derby finalists in post position order:
- O Ya Fire Fly (Kiowa Mon Manny – O Ya Victoria, Lester Raines)
- Elizabeth Banks (Pat C Clement – WW Lonesome Dove, D. Q. Williams)
- Pat C Verona (SH Avatar – Idaho Cuda, Koppe, Staats & Collins)
- Daniel Craig (Flying Westover – Paul Walker, D. Q. Williams)
- KB’s Davilla (Atascocita Gray – BOC’s Haiti Baby, Rader Racing)
- Newburyport (Djays Octane – Myra Kraft, Rader Racing)
- Bartsblackrushin (Gold Town* – Barts Magpie, James Douglas)
- Bartsbitethedust (Trent Lee – Barts Stars, James Douglas)
Post time for Saturday afternoon’s first race is 1:00 p.m. and for the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby, in Race 12, approximately 4:00 p.m.
This will be the 88th running of the Derby, one of the nation’s longest-running stake events.
The Three-Eighths Mile is named in honor of humanitarian, greyhound owner and dedicated supporter of greyhound adoption, James W. Paul.
Special activities for this outstanding afternoon of championship Greyhound racing include:
* 15-Superfecta Races!
* Guaranteed $10,000 Pick 4!
* Cory Marin performs our National Anthem! (12:30 p.m.)
* Food Specials! Hot Dog & Draft Beer for only $4.50 / Hot Dog & Soda for only $3.50!
* Join John Martin with ESPN West Palm Street Team with the Cash Cube and a chance to win up to $500 and other prizes! (In front of first-floor Poker Room, 2:00 – 4:00 pm).
* The first 400 racing fans to enter the track will receive a 2019 Souvenir, Collectable Derby Glass, with a listing of all past Derby winners, courtesy of WPTV News Channel 5. (WHILE THEY LAST, ONE GLASS PER PERSON, NO EXCEPTIONS, AVAILABLE AT INFORMATION STANDS)
* For the kids, Balloon Artist Karl Koppertop and Ace the Poker Bear! (1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
* Greyhound Pet Representatives will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about adopting one of these loving dogs!
* The finale of the 88th running of the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby featuring Palm Beach Kennel Club’s top middle-distance athletes! (Race 12)
Contact: Jeff Prince (561) 683-2222, Ext. 126 / email@example.com
Join Us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pbkennelclub
Join Us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pbkennelclub