FINAL EIGHT SET TO GO IN THE 89TH EDITION OF PALM BEACH KENNEL CLUB’S $50,000 JAMES W. PAUL THREE-EIGHTHS MILE DERBY, SATURDAY AFTERNOON, FEBRUARY 29!
TRACK RECORD HOLDER JD ANDROID INSTALLED AS MORNING LINE FAVORITE!
GIRL POWER AT ITS BEST!
HISTORY MAKING EIGHT FEMALE FINALISTS!
West Palm Beach, Fl. – Post positions have been drawn and the Greyhounds are set and ready to go for this Saturday afternoon’s 89th and final running of Palm Beach Kennel Club’s $50,000 James W. Paul Three-Eighths Mile Derby.
This year’s field is also a historic one as for the first time in Derby history, eight females will battle it out for the Derby championship title.
The post-time favorite most likely will be recently crowned Pat C Rendezvous 660-Yard track record holder JD Android. And for good reason. In last Sunday’s semifinal round of qualifying, Android routed a tough field winning by more than 15 lengths in a record setting time of 37.11 seconds. She also owns the third-fastest clocking on the middle distance of 37.16.
Now the question is, who can stop JD Android?
Android’s achilles paw is competing against early speedsters. And the post-position draw was very favorable to the two Derby finalists who are known for bombing the starting box on the break.
First, three-time qualifying round winner Pat C Snickers drew the one post. Very nice. Secondly, the overall leading point earner in qualifying, B’s Cappuccino, drew the favorable outside eight box. So, it is a distinct possibility that JD Android will have to come from off the pace to score the win.
As for the other Derby finalists, O Ya Praire Wind drew the seven post. Her penchant for finishing in the top three is impeccable and she looks to make a good showing.
The slower breakers / rushers in the Derby final, #2 Barts These Eyes, #3 K’s Margaret, #5 Slatex Beretta and especially #4 GV Jessie’s Girl, will be hoping for the early pacesetters getting together, or one finalist gaining a huge lead, and slowing down the pace of the race or the rare occurrence of some traffic issues with the frontrunners at the first and/or second turns.
The eight 2020 $50,000 James W. Paul Derby finalists in post position order:
- Pat C Snickers (Pat C Clement – Pat C Deception, Koppe, Staats & Collins)
- Barts These Eyes (Barcelona Boss – B’s That’s My Jam, James Douglas)
- K’s Margaret (Dyna Nalin* – K’s Summer, Brindle Kennel)
- GV Jessie’s Girl (Barcelona Boss – GV Jewel Quest, James Douglas)
- Slatex Beretta (Flying Fired Up – Slatex Albany, Janie Carroll)
- JD Android (JD Titanium – Allisonracinteam, Brindle)
- O Ya Praire Wind (Oya Stan The Man – O Ya Chewie, Lester Raines)
- B’s Cappuccino (SH Avatar – Oaks Mocha, Janie Carroll)
Post time for Saturday afternoon’s first race is 1:00 p.m. and for the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby, in Race 12, approximately 3:45 p.m.
Gates will open early Saturday afternoon at 11:00am.
This will be the 89th and final running of the Derby, one of the nation’s longest-running stake events.
The Three-Eighths Mile is named in honor of humanitarian, greyhound owner and dedicated supporter of greyhound adoption, James W. Paul.
Special activities for this outstanding afternoon of championship Greyhound racing include:
* 15-Superfecta Races!
* Guaranteed $10,000 Pick 4!
* Gary Hodges performs our National Anthem! (12:30 p.m.)
* Food Specials! Hot Dog & Draft Beer for only $4.50 / Hot Dog & Soda for only $3.50!
* Join John Martin with ESPN West Palm Street Team with the Cash Cube and a chance to win up to $500 and other prizes! (In front of first-floor Poker Room, 2:00 – 4:00 pm).
* The first 400 racing fans to enter the track will receive a 2019 Souvenir, Collectable Derby Glass, with a listing of all past Derby winners, courtesy of WPTV News Channel 5. (ONE GLASS PER PERSON, NO EXCEPTIONS, 11:30AM – WHILE THEY LAST)
* For the kids, Balloon Artist Karl Koppertop and Face Painting by Pinky the Clown! (1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
* Greyhound Pet Representatives will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about adopting one of these loving dogs!
* The finale of the 89th running of the $50,000 James W. Paul 3/8ths Mile Derby featuring Palm Beach Kennel Club’s top middle-distance athletes! (Race 12)
Contact: Jeff Prince (561) 683-2222, Ext. 126 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Join Us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pbkennelclub
Join Us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pbkennelclub